Did you know that 9 out of 10 people breathe polluted air? And that 7 million premature deaths are caused by air pollution each year?
That’s why this year’s 45th annual World Environment Day will be celebrated under the theme of #BeatAirPollution. Air pollution does not just effect our health, but also has severe consequences for our climate. Clean air is a human right, and that’s why we need you to join us in taking action this World Environment Day!
Last year we were overwhelmed by the number of Climate Reality Leaders and volunteers who stepped up to engage the youth of their community to #BeatPlasticPollution, and we hope to see even more Africans taking action this year!
Here are some ideas for activities that you can organise in your region:
- Visit a local school or university to present causes and solutions to air pollution
- Arrange a debate, art competition, essay/short story competition, tree planting, or bicycle race
- Establish a Climate Change or Eco Club at a local school or university
- Have a walk/bike to school day
- Arrange a community clean-up
- Lobby your local government on air pollution issues
We would love to hear about the World Environment Day event you will be organising – fill out this form so that if it is an open event we can share the details with others in your region who want to join you, and so that after the event, we can publish your great actions here on the African Climate Reality Project website!
Click here for more information on air pollution and for more ideas on how to celebrate and take action this World Environment Day.