What a busy year for the African Climate Reality Project!
I am hugely proud of the work we have done over 2017. Despite our limited budget, Climate Reality Leaders across the continent and the ACRP team have been extremely productive. Some of the highlights that stand out for me are:
- the media trainings conducted by Climate Reality Leaders;
- the radio podcasts we produced that explain the concepts of climate change and renewable energy in three different languages;
- the flipcharts we made in both English and French that allow us to do presentations on the reality of climate change and its solutions – even in settings that don’t have access to electricity;
- the infographics on renewable energy and how it relates to health, jobs, water and social justice;
- our policy contributions to the South African Government;
- various engagements with schools in several countries, including presentations, climate change debates and the setting up of ecoclubs;
- the various campaigns we ran to promote renewable energy, protect and enhance the role of natural carbon sinks to mitigate climate change, divest from fossil fuels and ensure a just transition to a sustainable, just future for all. I’m especially proud of our association with the Big Shift global campaign which, with your help, has resulted in the World Bank Group (WBG) making a series of announcements, including a headline announcement that they will end finance for upstream oil and gas projects after 2019, in order to align its support to help countries meet their goals under the Paris Agreement.
A huge thank you to Noelle for all the work she has done; Teboho who interned with us for a few months and to the volunteers like Jordan and Sanath, a Climate Reality Leader who assisted us during his university vacations.
I would also like to thank all the people, institutions and organisations, big and small, with whom we’ve had the pleasure and honour to work throughout the year on building a brighter, climate-friendly future for all in Africa.
Most importantly, I would like to take the time to say THANK YOU to all African Climate Reality Leaders. There are now 583 of you in 28 countries in Africa. I discover your profiles with pride and enjoy every opportunity to meet with some of you. I am energised by your dedication to make a contribution to the fight against climate change. Africa would be in a worse position without the time and effort you donate to making our planet a happier and healthier place!
We will share our plans for 2018 in January next year. Until then, I wish you a happy festive season with family and friends, and look forward to continuing our engagement for the climate together in 2018!
ACRP Branch Manager